Monday, August 6, 2012

You Want To Improve On, Try This


I am sure you would agree, it doesn’t matter what we do but in every aspect of our life we try to improve on, right? Think about when was last time you did something and you wanted to improve on?  It is simple we are driven by desire to master, autonomy and purpose.

From my own experience I remember that I had to realize this which will help you to master.

Mastery is mindset- when I was working during the last year, I think my mindset belongs between one of the most dedicated to my purpose. I feel that whatever people believe, it shapes what people achieve. I know that you have heard that million times. I heard too. But honestly how strong is your mindset? Only you are the one who knows answer this question. I think I was able to handle it because I differentiate performance goal (like get 2 sales a day) and learning goal (learn how to handle own emotions, sales skills). Learning goal is related to your purpose.

Mastery is pain- I can relate with that. During last year it has shown me that the best predictor for success is not strength, intellect, leadership, knowledge, skills. It is defined as perseverance and passion for long term goals (learning goals). Mastery involves working and working and showing a little improvement, perhaps with few moments of flow pulling you along, then making a little progress and then working and working more. It felt exhausting. But it is not problematic, it is solution. I learned that effort gives meaning to life. My bosses didn’t see results but they were good to me, trying to help me out because I put effort. Effort means that you care about something which is important and you are willing to work for that. 

Mastery is asymptote- With every day effort you can approach it but never reach it. Mastery on one side is source of frustration but at other side source of allure as well. Feeling of joy is in pursuing than just realization.   

So let me know your story and your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment