Sunday, July 15, 2012

How Goals Can Reduce Your Effectiveness

Many people feel nowadays that they work hard however they cannot achieve what they want. Either there is a problem that they do not have any goals or they have. Setting up goals is important activity which help you pick direction you want to go and for motivating yourself to turn your vision of future into reality.

I agree with that it is important to set up goals and work toward them, because you need clear vision why you want to achieve your goal.

However there is one downsize. Once you stay focused only on your goal, you spoil your experience of activity you will need to pursue. It makes you more to drop out earlier because most likely you will not hit your expectations so soon and you will feel like goal you were set up is beyond your limits.

My experience is same. When I started my internship experience, I was acquainted with concept of goals and so. However I made big mistake right from beginning. I set up goals and I was putting all my effort only toward to goal. I was taking all that too serious. And every day with unmet expectation I created within myself more pressure and discomfort. Harder I have worked and focused on goal, it was becoming more difficult for me. And of course I have lost pleasure from what I have been doing. And believe me once you lose pleasure from what you do, it is time for change. Never let any negative experience drag you down. You have to feel satisfaction in what you do and after that goals and success become your reality.

There is only one way how to overcome. You have to lose concern about goals and go out just with clear mind, reminding that you will enjoy day, it means focus more on experience of activity without any doubts for quotas, goals and your results get better. I realized what I needed to do and when you become more free minded, you become enjoying more what you do, goals you were set up initially will be achievable.

What I have discovered is that, staying focused on goals detracts from inherent pleasure of the activities you need to pursue to achieve your goals. There is a lot of information between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. It means that external rewards can backfire. (E.g. Offer a child candy for making pretty drawings and whereas they used to draw nice for joy, now they will put pen down only because of reward). However intrinsic motivation can be imperiled even without offer reward. By focusing on ultimate goals of an activity we risk destroying our intrinsic motivation.

So, whether you are about start a diet, working out program or new course...at first of course visualize your goals to help get yourself started in the first place, but once you have begun, try to your goal fade a little into backgrounds. Revel in the process and you are more likely to make it to finishing lane. That way you are more likely master your course, lose weight, and get in shape. Make it happen.

What Is Your Take?
Have you found that focusing on your end goal help you or reduce your pleasure from what you do?

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! I felt that dozens of times when concentrated on achieving goals made me feel more discouraged because of the way I saw I need to take. Seems strange, but less you look on your goal more you feel satisfied on your experience:) Great article! Thank you, Matus!

    ReplyDelete